JOHOR BAHARU: Traffic heading for Singapore is currently diverted to the new Medium Term Link (MTL) road in stages from yesterday to pave the way for demolition works on the elevated access road currently connecting the Sultan Iskandar Customs, Immigration, and Quarantine (CIQ) complex to the Causeway.
The access road – nicknamed the F1 circuit because it winds like a Formula 1 racing track – had been in use over the past four to five years as a stop-gap measure while the MTL was being built.
Following the recent completion of the link, the traffic police decided to do several test runs before allowing all vehicles – except lorries from the nearby Tanjung Putri Customs complex – to permanently use the MTL.
The full use of the MTL is expected to start from Jan 13 when the demolition works on the current access road are also scheduled to be completed.
State internal security, public order and traffic chief Supt T. Raveendran said the diversion from the access road to the MTL would start with outbound traffic from 10am yesterday.
“We shall [NOT We will] have the test run for one hour for all buses, cars and motorcycles heading for Singapore to assess and fix problems relating to the diversion,” he told a press conference at the CIQ complex here Saturday.
Barring hitches, all outbound traffic will be permanently diverted from the access road to the MTL from 10am today.
“As for the traffic entering Johor Baharu via the Causeway, we shall [INDIRECT : the police will] have a similar test run on Nov 26 [Friday] involving only buses,” he said, adding that the inbound buses would permanently start using the MTL on Nov 29 [Monday].
Supt Raveendran said from Jan 13, all buses, cars and motorcycles – outbound and inbound – would be permanently diverted to the new link.
He said other than traffic diversions, there would be traffic lights at a junction where the lorry lane – leading from the Tanjung Puteri Customs complex – meets the lane for the other vehicles.
“This is to ensure a continuous flow of traffic along the causeway,” he said, adding that all lorries would continue to enter Singapore from the Customs complex.
Supt Raveendran said 25 officers from the CIQ complex, the Public Works Department and other agencies would be stationed along the new link to help control traffic flow.
As for the short-term access road linking the CIQ to the causeway, he said it would be demolished in stages and eventually replaced.
“I would also like to advise all motorists to be cautious during the diversion period,” he said.
For enquiries, the public can contact the Johor police hotline at +607-2212999.
[Source : The Star Online]